Concrete. We see it everywhere; at the park, on the street, in our homes, where we shop, where we worship, where we eat, and where we walk. According to ScienceDirect, concrete is the most consumed material in the world, second to water. It is so commonly used in construction we take it for granted. Have you ever wondered why we use concrete to construct our buildings, homes, shops and entertainment areas?
Reasons to construct with concrete
- Concrete is strong. A chemical reaction between cement and water gives concrete its strength. Cement is a powder made up of limestone, calcium, silicon, iron, and aluminum. When cement is mixed with water it forms a paste, like glue, binding together sand, gravel, and crushed stone. The paste hardens over time setting and adhering the pieces in place.
- Temperature tolerant. In the midwest where temperatures can range from below zero in winter to over 100 degrees in summer, concrete will retain its form and strength. To properly prepare concrete for those extreme temperatures and prevent spalling, scaring or pits, it is important to pour concrete with the right amount of water, at the right environmental temperature, and allow for the right amount of time for it to cure.
- Easy to maintain. Sealing concrete extends the life of it, makes it resistant to stains, and retains its visual appeal. In addition to sealing, we recommend keeping your concrete clean and dry, using a ehumidifier in enclosed places, and making sure the drainage system is working properly.
- Cost effective. Only a few key materials are used for making concrete. Materials that are relatively plentiful in supply and easy to acquire, making the cost to produce it reasonable. The fact concrete can last almost forever makes the investment well worth it.
- Aesthetically pleasing. Accurately leveled surfaces and fine-tuned finishing work provide that smooth, glossy finish look we all love to see. It is versatile in that you can create different designs by cutting it into various shapes and sizes. Different finishes and sealants can be applied in varying colors creating unique designs.
Concrete is the go-to material for most construction projects. When you’re looking for a reliable partner to pour concrete for a commercial building foundation, home foundation, or flat surface, call Kurk. We are a partner that goes above and beyond to get the job done right.